Happy World Vegan Day!
Tuesday, 6th November, 2018
Lasagnes are a staple dish in every household not only because they are filling, but because they make a deliciously warming meal on a cold winter night.
World Vegan Day has been and gone and for those of you who were inspired to branch out and develop your culinary skills, this Vegan rainbow lasagne is definitely going to make an impression at the dinner table.
We would love to see your Rainbow Lasagnes, so don’t forget to tag us in your pictures!
- 1 large jar of tomato marinara sauce
- 1 pack of whole wheat lasagne sheets
- ½ medium butternut squash
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 beetroot
- 500g baby leaf spinach
- Coconut Oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 300g of mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Tofu Ricotta Cheese (recipe below)
- Vegan cheese (optional)
Tofu Ricotta Cheese Ingredients:
- 1 packet of extra-firm tofu
- ¼ cup of nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 10-15 basil leaves
- 1 lemon (half of the zest and all of the juice)
- 2 tablespoons of vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- Begin with the beetroot layer: Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to a pan. Add the red onions, 1 garlic clove, beetroot and a tablespoon of water. Cook on a low heat for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir through a quarter of the tomato sauce.
- For the orange layer: Boil the butternut squash and sweet potatoes for 15-20 minutes. Drain the water and add a quarter of the tomato pasta sauce and mash together.
- Next is the mushroom layer: Add the remaining garlic in a pan with 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Finally the spinach layer: Heat half the spinach in a large saucepan until it has fully wilted. Remove from the heat and add the remaining spinach letting it wilt in the heat of the pan. Then combine the tofu ‘ricotta’ mix.
- To make the tofu ricotta mix: Cover the tofu in paper towels and press out the excess water from the tofu by sitting something heavy on top. Then add the pressed tofu to a blender along with all of the other ingredients until it reaches a creamy texture.
- To assemble: cover the bottom of the oven-prof dish with the garlic mushrooms and cover with lasagne sheets. Then spread the spinach and ‘ricotta’ mix on top and arrange the lasagne over the spinach. Then repeat the process with the orange layer and then again with the beetroot layer. Cover the last layer of pasta sheets with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Option here to add vegan cheese on top of the tomato sauce.
- Bake for 35 minutes.